Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Get Enough Sleep: Days 6 to 8

I've noticed that I've been having some pretty hectic dreams the past few nights. They're usually not frightening or panicky, just frenetic. I can't really remember what happens in them, just that I wake up with a gasp and I have to remind myself that all is well and I don't have anything to worry about.

I think part of the problem is that I have a really busy, fast-paced job, where one thing comes up after another, and my to-do list is always in flux. I must taking that energy home with me, and it's affecting my sleep.

There's a difference between being tired enough to fall asleep and being actually ready for rest.

I looked up a bunch of tips for how to calm my mind before I sleep. I liked wikiHow's practical list of things to try, even though they were mostly the usual things like counting sheep, warm milk, light exercise etc.

I was most intrigued by this how-to on squidoo which talks more about the underlying things going on in a busy mind. The statement, "I'd rather feel good than be right" resonated with me. Most of the things that keep my mind awake are projects that I need to fix and work on... things that I really can't do anything about at 2:00am in the morning. Why do I feel the need to try to work on it at that point?

Maybe it's because I want to know I will do it right.

And maybe I need to realize that whether I do it right or not is not really all that important at 2:00am. There's not a darn thing I can do about it then.

Food for thought. I hope these thoughts don't keep me up tonight...



No comments:

Post a Comment