Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Looking Forward: Days 24 to 30

When I started this challenge, I had already decided how I would write the last post for it. It went something like this:
This challenge helped me to find the good in every day and to remember that even the hardest days have something to look forward to...
Yesterday, as I was washing the dishes, I was contemplating this post, thinking about how I would compose it, thinking about all the things I'd learned... that it really does help to think positively, that it's good practice to anticipate the joy in each day, that days that were formally wasted by worrying were suddenly turned into restful, peaceful, thoughtful days when I forced myself to look forward to something good, no matter how small...

But, suddenly, a thought occurred to me that made me stand still with my hands in the dishwater:  There's a little bit of that good stuff not just in every day, but in every person. Somehow, this challenge didn't just make me realize that I didn't have to assign judgement to each day, but that I also didn't have to assign judgement to each person I meet. I thought of my favourite people... great friends with wonderful souls... and realized that there's a little bit of that in everyone. I just have to direct the energy I used to look for the positive parts of each day toward looking for the positive parts in each person I meet.

That's hard for me. There are people out there that are certainly NOT my favourite people... people that have shown me really ugly sides to their personalities. When I see that, it's like someone has thrown acid in my direction: I flinch, and I never go back to them.

But maybe it's time to change that.

Anyway, this was a really, really good thing to try, and I feel so much better for doing it. I think I might have actually rewired my brain to do it regularly. I'm quite happy about that.

Onward. Upward. Forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment