Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spend 30 Minutes Less on the Couch: Day 14, 15, 16 & 17

What happens to you when you take on a challenge?

The first few days are always interesting... a fascinating look into a different life. You find new ways of doing things, and you feel yourself attracted to the change. You like the change, and you enjoy the results. When it comes to physical changes, you enjoy how your body changes. You look and feel better, and then you want more...

And that's usually where I fall down.

I wasn't feeling well over the weekend, and I was so disappointed because I had big plans to try out new activities, exercise more vigorously, try different ways to improve my strength. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't put my body through that because I didn't want to cripple it and set myself back. It would start off with, "Oh, I'm not feeling well, so I'll just take a break for a couple of days..." Then, down the slippery slope I would go.

So, for the first time ever, I said, "Ok, so you're not well. But you can do something... something small, something like stretching or breathing. Get off the couch, find something else to do, and when you're ready, get back on the horse."

Saturday, I did a gentle yoga session... worked on my legs, my knees, my back... lots of deep breaths, still thoughts on an open mind. I slept a lot that day. I had a bath. I went to bed early.

Sunday, I felt more or less normal, but I didn't push it. I did a good, vigorous swim, but then I went home and had another nap. That evening, I did some bellydancing.

By Monday, I was back on track.

So, while I would love to get into those pants I couldn't wear at the beginning of this challenge, I think the longer-term goal of creating positive habits is much, much more valuable. 30 minutes, every day, for the rest of my life.

Here's hoping that's a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment