Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Make Me Feel Proud: Day 7 - First Week Reflections

Sometimes, I feel a little bit pompous talking about all the good things I'm proud of about myself. We're not supposed to talk ourselves up all the time... but maybe that's part of the problem. Since I started this challenge, here's what I'm noticing:
  • I feel a lot more calm and relaxed, especially during times of stress.
  • Since I feel more calm and relaxed, I don't feel the need to binge eat during times of stress
Those are two very significant things for me, because emotional eating is something I have to deal with every single day. It happens when I am upset or stressed out, or tired and depressed. I was hoping that, with this challenge, I might be able to circumvent the depression that comes with being really tired in the evenings. The relaxation part comes as a bit more of a surprise for me.

One of the reasons I blog is because I'm a strong believer that, if you publicly declare a goal, it means you are much more likely to attain it. It's not really about being accountable to people (although, that is part of it). When I say that I'm going to work on something, that something becomes a project. If you follow my other blog, you'll know that I'm really good at working on a project. And when I'm working on a project, it remains on my mind steadily throughout the day.

Since my project is to think of things I'm proud of about myself, I've been steadily thinking about it each day... that means that I've been spending a lot more time thinking about things I like about myself, rather than looking for my faults. That is quite a change for me. And it's a good one.

Anyway, today I'm proud of the work I did today at my job, and my ability to learn new things relatively quickly. I'm glad for every opportunity to learn new things, even though it's hard going at first. The rewards are always much sweeter with the amount of effort it takes to get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment