Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Get Enough Sleep: Days 23 to 30... 33

I'm late with this blogpost because... well...

Because I was too tired to write it. There, I said it.

I was doing so well, getting to bed early, getting lots of sleep, feeling rested and refreshed, but I got into some bad habits over the past few days. I lay in bed a few nights, playing with my phone or reading when I was clearly too tired to be awake. And yet...

And yet I stayed awake. Why?

I suppose you can get into a zone when you're just too tired to actually do anything that makes sense. This is the zone I get into when I get into late night snacking. I know I'm not hungry... and I know I could just go to sleep and the "hunger" would go away. But for some reason, the part of my brain that is screaming these things to me cannot control the lumbering beast I become when I'm that state.

So what to do? I could say, "Well, just don't get into that state in the first place," but that's not really a way to stop something with the force of a huge, rolling boulder.

I think the best thing to do is to just not beat myself up about it. If there's one thing I've learned with this challenge, it's acceptance: acceptance that mistakes have been made, but there's nothing I can do to change them, so I may as well rest. And acceptance that sometimes I will just not get enough sleep, but my body will rest when it needs to, either by my own will, or by making me have headaches that force me to stop.

So, it's 9:00pm now, and my alarm is set for 5:30am. I'm off to bed. Rest well.


No comments:

Post a Comment