Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lower My Blood Pressure: Days 1, 2 and 3

Following a few appointments with various members of the medical profession, I have to finally admit that my blood pressure is higher than it should be. My weight and my genetics are against me. Since I can't do anything about my genetics, time to get serious about my weight.

Having always been pleasantly plump (and sometimes, unpleasantly so), this is a lifelong battle for me. I think that now that I have something to work on that is a result of this plumpness, I can finally turn and look this problem in the face. This has not been an easy thing to do.

I'm not going to go into specifics. I think I'm finished being depressed about this situation... at least, I am for now. I have a feeling this is going to be a rollercoaster of a challenge.

For the past three days, I've been using myfitnesspal.com to track all the things I put into my mouth, and all the exercise I do. First observations?
  1. I ate way too much (but no surprise there).
  2. I eat a lot of sugar, mostly in the form of fruit.
  3. Losing two pounds a week is a lot more work than I thought it would be.
I've also found out the lengths I'm willing to go to just to get a little bit more food. Yesterday evening, when I had discovered I messed up and had too many breadsticks for an appetizer and was a couple hundred calories over, I decided I'd add twenty more minutes to the workout I was planning to do later that evening, and a good, long yoga session. I preferred to work harder than be over my limit.

Today, I'm tired, but I did get a Jillian Michaels workout and a 45-minute dog walk in. So far, not bad. I'm hoping it'll get easier.

For now, I'll just have a little nap here on the couch after I eat my cup of raw turnips... which, by the way, are only 36 calories...


No comments:

Post a Comment