Saturday, January 28, 2012

Draw a Little Every Day: Days 13, 14 and 15

I was lucky enough a few years ago to take a class at my local clay studio to learn how to make mosaics. Here is one that I've shared before at my other blog.


What I love about it is the way you take complex shapes and break them down into simpler polygons. When I was learning how to mosaic, I was reminded of Haida art.

I spent a couple of days playing with shapes and came up with this image, which is based on a painting we got as a wedding present. It looks kind of... kindergarten... but I still enjoy looking at it.


Today, I decided I'd pull out my ink pen and just have another go at a Zentangle-like drawing. I finished this in about 25 minutes.


What I'm realizing as I'm doing this challenge is that drawing does seem to quiet my soul. Unlike knitting or spinning, the pen or pencil or charcoal seems to do its own bidding, without consulting me, without me holding it back, no matter what I plan to draw. The lines seem to do what they want. I used to think this was my lack of artistic talent (and there are plenty who are much more talented than I), but now I'm starting to think that this is just the way my hands work. It's an interesting thing to contemplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment