Saturday, January 14, 2012

Draw a Little Every Day: Day 1

Most people who do not draw very much have quite a fear of drawing. I would like to say I'm not one of those people, but there is still some trepidation inside of me when I'm asked to draw. Draw what? With what? Who will see it? What if I make a mistake?

On the other hand, I think most people have doodled at least in one point of their lives. I'm not a constant doodler, but once I get started, it's hard for me to start. Doodling is a funny thing (and a funny word, by the way) because, for some reason, when I doodle, I'm not afraid of using permanent ink. I never feel the need to erase or correct. I just keep going and work with what I end up with.

Not long ago, on my G+ feed, someone posted a link to this video, which is about a drawing technique called Zentangle. When I watched it, I was entranced. I love trying to cram in a bunch of lines in my doodling, and it was interesting to watch the pens flowing around on the page.

Zentangle is a whole technique that you're "supposed" to take classes to do, but I just used it as an inspiration to play today.

The people-pleaser in me had to really resist going back to watch the videos again so that I could do it "right." Once I got to the third attempt, it felt much more natural, and way more fun!






I think dividing up the paper into sections and creating borders for my doodles really forced me to keep going and to fill up space. So far, so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment