Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eat Fruit For Dessert: Day 1

For the past few years, I've made a special effort to get my "5 a day." I'm usually pretty good at making sure there are plenty of fruits and vegetables in the house. I have no problems making sure I eat at least three servings of veggies a day, but for some reason, I don't seem to be able to remember to eat fruit each day. It might be a banana or a glass of juice, but that's about it.

It's not that I grew up in a household that didn't eat fruit. My family is from the Philippines, and like a lot of people from southeast Asian countries, they aren't really into cakes and cookies. My dad will always reach for a banana or some melon for dessert, without thought for a slice of cheesecake. My grandmother's house has a mango tree, several palms, a coconut tree, a guava tree, and a tree that bears a fruit called "chico," of which I've never seen anywhere else.

I thought that I might spend this month not eating dessert at all, but that just didn't seem much fun. So, since it's summer, and it's a good time to find fresh fruit, I thought I'd have some fruit for dessert each day.

This will be somewhat of a challenge, because I live in an area that gets most of its fruit off a truck, but if it was easy, well... it wouldn't be a challenge, would it?

This evening, I enjoyed a small bowl of raspberries from my garden and chokecherries from my friend's garden. We picked a couple of big freezer bag-fulls of the chokecherries today, and I thought I'd better eat a few before they went too soft. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment